The joy of discovering
This page is here to help you discover some exciting low-impact travelling options. Sit back with a cup of tea and take your time to browse our tools list that will offer ideas, planning tools, accomodation and activities sites – something to help you start planning the ideal carbon-light holidays. Get ready to be inspired!
Emissions related to travelling make up almost a quarter of our community’s carbon footpriont. Most students and staff already have a low-carbon trip into University and back each day, whether walking, cycling, taking the bus or sharing a lift. The University already runs some excellent schemes to encourage more people to take these options. You can find out more about these here.
This means that the biggest chunk of our community’s carbon footprint results from our choices on leisure travel for holidays and visiting family and friends. We know that pollution is changing our climate and that cheap oil is running out, so how can we make our university fit for the future?
We aim to promote low-impact but high-excitement leisure travel. We hope to create a buzz about holidays in Scotland and further afield and to have on this website resources that provide a ‘one-stop-shop’ for cheap and accessible travel options for students and staff.
If you’re not sure why low-carbon travel choices matter, check out this.
Sign the Fair Travel Pledge!
Sign our travel pledge and become part of a growing community at the University trying to find low-impact ways to get around. We’ll help you lower your travel emissions by giving you loads of travel tips and we’ll send you your own personalised Infrequent Flyer’s Pocket Companion!
Our journey towards low-impact travelling
The wonderful project of Transition Edinburgh University has come to an end in its current form. We have truly enjoyed this last year of events, games, competitions and all the travel-related fun. It’s been a great journey towards low-carbon travelling!
These are some things that make us smile when we remember them:
- Last May we had our first big event, the “Summer Travel Fair”. Everyone got really excited and inspired about their low-carbon summer plans!
- Right there and then we launched our Fair Travel Pledge, which at the end of the project helped us to save around 150 tonnes of CO2.
- In “Winging It: our love/hate relationship with flying” we had some great discussions and got a chance to learn more about various issues related to the aviation industry.
- “Beer of the British Isles” was one of the most fun events, where we tasted different kinds of Scottish beers and talked about local Scottish holidays, visiting the local breweries and going on the local ‘ale trails’.
- Our final big event was the “Travel-themed pub Quiz”. It was great fun and the winning team went on a free Scottish holiday!
It was a great year and hopefully all of us involved learnt something new about endless possibilities to enjoy guilt-free sustainable and, most importantrly, fun travelling!